Monday, October 22, 2012

Taliban district and security chief killed in Wardak

According to local authorities in central Maidan Wardak province of Afghanistan, Afghan security forces killed Taliban district and security chief in Chak district in this province.

Provincial security chief spokesman Abdul Wali Khanzada confirming the report said Taliban district chief Mullah Ghulam Ali and Taliban security chief Mulah Naqeeb were killed in a special military operation in this province.

Mr. Khanzada further added the operation was conducted early Monday morning around 1:30 am in Chak district of Maidan Wardak province.

Maidan Wardak province is among the volatile regions in central Afghanistan where Taliban militants and insurgents belonging to Hezb-e-Islami are actively operating in a number of its districts.

The main highway which is approximately 100 km crosses Maidan Wardak province to connect capital Kabul with the eastern and western provinces of Afghanistan.

Militants are frequently carrying out insurgency activities to target Afghan and coalition security forces on this highway.

Taliban group yet to comment regarding the report.

By Sayed Jawad - Mon Oct 22, 4:21 pm

Enhanced by Zemanta

21 Armed Taliban Killed and 8 Arrested by ANP (22.Oct.2012.)

  Publish Date: Oct 22, 2012
21 Armed Taliban Killed and Eight Arrested by Afghan National Police

During the past 24 hours, Afghan National Police, Afghan National Army, NDS and Coalition Forces launched 11 joint clearance operations in Kunduz, Uruzgan, Maidan Wardak, Ghazni, Farah, Ghor and Helmand provinces.

As a result of these operations, 21 armed Taliban were killed and eight others were arrested by Afghan National Security Forces.

Also, during these operations, Afghan National Police discovered and confiscated 41 kilos of opium, seven different types of weapons, two radio handsets, 13 heavy rounds, 24 different types of mines, 7850 kilos of chemicals and one motorcycle.

Additionally, Afghan National Police discovered and defused four different types of mines as a result of security operations in Kunar, Laghman and Baghlan provinces, yesterday.

The 101 Kabul Zone National Police detained two individuals accused of murder and trafficking in the 4th and 9th Districts of Kabul-City.
Enhanced by Zemanta

Explosion at military camp kills 5 soldiers in Yemen's Aden

map by Evan Centanni (
ADEN, Yemen, Oct. 22 (Xinhua) -- A remote-controlled bomb went off in a military camp in Yemen's southern port city of Aden on Monday morning, killing five soldiers and wounding two others, a security official told Xinhua.

The blast occurred inside a military camp located on the northern outskirts of Aden, leaving at least five soldiers killed and two others injured, the local security official said, requesting anonymity.

"It appeared that an improvised-explosive device exploded at the military engineers camp. Experts of the anti-bomb disposal unit have arrived at the bombing site," the security official said.

The wounded have been sent to the Basuhib military hospital for treatment, he said.

However, an army officer told Xinhua anonymously saying that " the explosion was most likely caused by an accident. It happened when soldiers were moving hand grenades and landmines at an ammunition store at the camp."

A large fire was seen at the military camp for several minutes after the huge explosion and ambulances have rushed to the scene as police troops shut access to the area, according to local residents.

Yemen has undergone a political transition after the stepping down of former President Ali Abdullah Saleh earlier this year under a peaceful transfer of power backed by the United Nations.

Restoring security in Yemen has become a priority after last year's unrest created security vacuum which was exploited by the insurgent al-Qaida wing to control swaths of remote land and expand activities to major cities.

2012-10-22 15:44:52

Enhanced by Zemanta

13 killed in northern Nigeria attacks

YOBE, Nigeria, Oct. 21 (Xinhua) -- Nigerian military authorities on Sunday said at least 13 people were killed in the various violent attacks carried out within three days in Potiskum, a restive town in northeastern Yobe State.

State spokesperson of the military Joint Task Force (JTF) Lt. Lazarus Eli told reporters that the 13 persons included two serving policemen, a retired policeman and his three children, four civilians, a retired custom officer and his son, as well as a suspected Boko Haram member.

"Five of the militants were shot dead by military troops and their bodies were taken away by fellow sect members," said the military officer who confirmed that the attacks were carried out by the Boko Haram sect in the west African country.

Many of the militants might have escaped with severe gun injuries, he added.

Lazarus said security forces would continue to search for bodies of the sect members that were shot dead in the fierce gun battle with the military.

Military sources had told Xinhua on Friday that many people were feared dead in overnight gun battle between security forces and militants of the Boko Haram sect in Yobe.

Militants of the sect staged an uprising in the northeastern city of Maiduguri in 2009, attacking state institutions including prisons, police stations and schools. More than 1,500 people have been reportedly killed ever since, either in the attacks or clashes with local security forces.

2012-10-22 05:36:11

Enhanced by Zemanta

3 Afghan police killed in Khost explosion

KHOST CITY (PAN): Three policemen died in a roadside bombing in the southeastern Khost province while three civilians were killed in a separate incident in neighbouring Paktika, officials said on Monday.

Police defused a roadside bomb in the Haiderkhel area of Mandozai district, and were transporting it to their headquarters when it exploded at around 8am, killing three policemen and injuring three others, the governor’s spokesman, Baryalai Rawan, told Pajhwok Afghan News.

However, Director of Public Health Amir Badshah Mangal said only two dead bodies and four injured officers were brought to Khost Civil Hospital.

A Taliban spokesman, Zabihullah Mujahid, claimed responsibility for the attack, saying several police officers, including their commander, were killed.

Separately, two people wearing military uniforms were killed by Taliban on Sunday evening on the outskirts of Sharan, the capital of Paktika, the commander of 2nd brigade of 203rd Thunder Military Corps, Gen. Zamaray, said.

In addition, four Afghan National Army (ANA) soldiers were seized by the Taliban while returning home from duty, he said. The ANA is trying to secure their release.

Local Taliban said they had killed two Afghan soldiers in the area, but Mujahid, the movement’s spokesman, has yet to comment on the incident.

from Pajhwok
by Hidayatullah Khosti & Ali Mohammad Nazari on Oct 22, 2012 - 13:24

Enhanced by Zemanta

US drones kill 4 AQAP fighters in Yemen

US drones killed four al Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula fighters in a strike in southern Yemen, in the second such attack in the country in four days.

The unmanned Predators or Reapers fired several missiles at a vehicle as it was traveling in the Wadi Abida area in Marib province tonight, officials said according to The Yemen Post.

An AQAP operative known as Sanad Oraidan al Okailim, whose brother was killed in Abyan province earlier this year, was among the four people killed in the nighttime attack, according to the Yemeni news service. A second vehicle arrived at the scene following the strike and its occupants removed the bodies of those killed.

The strike tonight was certainly carried out by the US-operated Predators or Reapers. Earlier this month, Yemeni President Abdu Rabbu Mansour Hadi admitted that the nighttime strikes were carried out by the US "because the Yemeni Air Force cannot carry out missions at night."

Today's drone strike is the second in Yemen in four days, and the third this month. In the last strike, on Oct. 18, the US killed Nadir Haider Nasser al Shaddadi and eight other fighters in an attack on a compound outside of Jaar in Abyan province.

On Oct. 4, the drones fired several missiles at a vehicle as it was traveling in the Maqbala area in Shabwa province, killing four "heavily armed" al Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula operatives. A Yemeni journalist who is closely tied to AQAP later reported that Sheikh Abu Zubeir 'Adil al'Abab, AQAP's senior sharia official and the fourth-most important leader in the group, was killed in that strike.

Read more:
Enhanced by Zemanta

Oct. 22., 2012. - ISAF Joint Command Morning Operational Update

KABUL, Afghanistan – An Afghan and coalition security force arrested a Taliban leader in Nangarhar province, today.

The arrested leader is believed to be directly responsible for the coordination of weapons and equipment used in attacks on Afghan and coalition forces.

The security force also detained a number of suspected insurgents and seized two Afghan National Army uniforms as a result of the operation.

In other International Security Assistance Force news throughout Afghanistan:


An Afghan and coalition security force arrested a Taliban improvised explosive device expert in Kandahar province, today. The arrested IED expert is believed to be in charge of IED operations to include overseeing the emplacement and distribution of IEDs throughout north eastern Kandahar province. During the operation, the security force also detained one suspected insurgent.

Afghan and coalition forces killed an insurgent engaged in insurgent activity during an operation in Kandahar province, Sunday.

Afghan Special Police members of Provincial Response Company Uruzgan, enabled by coalition forces, rescued 16 prisoners from the Taliban during an operation in Helmand Province Saturday. The Taliban prison was discovered by Afghan Special Police during a clear and search mission. All of the prisoners were released after receiving an on-site health assessment by security forces.


Afghan and coalition forces killed two insurgents during a security operation in Wardak province, today. During the operation, the security force observed two insurgents engaged in insurgent activity.

Afghan Special Police members of Provincial Response Company Ghazni, enabled by coalition forces, discovered more than 90 kilograms (198 Pounds) of explosives and improvised explosive device components in Ghazni Province. All material was destroyed on site.

Enhanced by Zemanta

Australian SOTG soldier killed in Afghanistan

UPDATE: A 24-year-old Australian special forces soldier has been killed by an insurgent improvised explosive device (IED) during an operation in southern Afghanistan.

He is the 39th Australian soldier to die in Afghanistan since 2001 and the seventh so far this year.

Defence force chief General David Hurley said the soldier was a member of the Special Operations Task Group (SOTG) participating in a disruption operation against an insurgent network on the border area of Oruzgan province overnight, Australian time.

"The soldier was clearing the compound when an IED detonated, killing him instantly," he told reporters in Canberra on Monday.

No other Australian or Afghan soldiers were killed or injured.

The SOTG comprises members of the Special Air Service Regiment, Commando Regiments and Special Operations Engineer Regiment.

General Hurley said the mission was continuing and no further specific details of the circumstances could be provided without endangering his comrades.

The soldier's family has been notified and has requested that no personal details be released at this stage.

General Hurley said the soldier was highly qualified with operational experience.

"His commanding officer described him as an exceptional soldier who will be remembered as genuine, honest and dedicated," he said.

"His loss will be deeply felt by those who knew him."

Defence Minister Stephen Smith expressed his condolences to the soldier's family and friends.

"It is one of the terrible and tragic hazards and risks and consequence of our engagement in Afghanistan," he told reporters in Sydney.

Mr Smith said the government continued to believe that completing the mission in Afghanistan remained in the national interest.

Transition to Afghan security control remained on track and there was an expectation by the end of 2012 all four infantry kandaks (battalions) mentored by Australian forces would be capable of independent operations.

"We believe we are on track to transition to Afghan-led security responsibility overall in Oruzgan province over the next 12-15 months," Mr Smith said.

October 22nd, 2012

Enhanced by Zemanta

Search this blog