Tuesday, March 5, 2013

At least 5 killed, 36 wounded in car bombs in Iraq

BAGHDAD, March 5 (Xinhua) -- At least five people were killed and 36 wounded in three car bomb explosions in northern and eastern Iraq on Tuesday, the police said.
In Iraq's eastern province of Diyala, a car bomb went off near a football field at the town of Bani Saad, west of the provincial capital city of Baquba, some 65 km northeast of the Iraqi capital of Baghdad, killing three people and wounding 20 others, a provincial police source told Xinhua on condition of anonymity.

Five of the wounded are in critical condition, the source said.

In a separate incident, one of two car bombs hit a police patrol in the city of Kirkuk, some 250 km north of Baghdad, killing two policemen and wounding 16 people, a local police source anonymously told Xinhua, adding that many policemen were among the wounded.

Earlier in the day, the police reportedly said that ten people were killed and six others wounded in separate shootings in central and northern the country.

Violence is still common in the Iraqi cities despite the dramatic decrease since its peak in 2006 and 2007 when the country was engulfed in sectarian killings.

2013-03-05 23:21:38

Enhanced by Zemanta

5 rebels killed, 3 surrender in Faryab

Districts of Faryab.
Districts of Faryab. (Photo credit: Wikipedia)
MAIMANA (PAN): Five insurgents were killed and a sixth captured alive during an operation in northern Faryab province, where three rebels joined the peace process in Pashtunkot district, officials said on Tuesday.

The operation was conducted in the Chakab area of the district, police spokesman Syed Masoud Yaqubi told Pajhwok Afghan News. One Kalashnikov was recovered from the detainee.

He said the guerrillas tried to attack Chakab area but security forces thwarted their attempt with the help of locals.

A Taliban spokesman, Zabihullah Mujahid, claimed inflicting causalities on security forces. However, he did not provide further details.

Separately, three members of the Qari Fazal Group joined the peace process as a result of efforts by tribal elders and handed over two Kalashnikovs and as many landmines to security forces in the same district.

from Pajhwok
By Pajhwok Report Mar 5, 2013 - 14:58

Enhanced by Zemanta

AQIM confirms French killed leader in Mali

Abdelhamid Abou Zeid (screen-grab)
An Al Qaeda source has confirmed the death in Mali of Abdelhamid Abou Zeid, one of the leaders of Aqim, (al Qaeda in the Islamic Maghreb).
An Aqim militant told the private Mauritanian news agency that he was killed in a French bombing raid last week in the Ifoghas mountains.

The same source insisted however, that another Islamist leader, Mokhtar Belmokhtar, thought to have masterminded the January hostage operation in the Algerian gas plant, was still alive and fighting.

Radio France Internationale’s special envoy in Mali went to Tessalit in the north east on Sunday, where he was shown photographs by a Chadian soldier, showing a blood-drenched body which the soldier declares is the corpse of Mokhtar Belmokhtar.

The Chadian soldiers say they killed Belmokhtar on Saturday in the Ametetai Valley.

French Defence Minister Jean-Yves Le Drian announced on French television on Tuesday the death of around 15 Islamist militants after heavy fighting with French and Chadian forces overnight in northeastern Mali

And on Tuesday Admiral Edouard Guillaud told journalists that the French intervention which was launched in January was breaking the back of Aqim and its allies in Mali.

However, the relatives of French hostages being held in the Sahel region are concerned for the safety of their loved ones.

They fear that they could be used as human shields or be executed as reprisal for the deaths of islamist fighters.

Pascale Robert, the grandmother of Pierre Legrand, one of the four French nationals who were seized in Niger, has called on French president François Hollande to declare a “pause in the conflict to allow for talks with the remaining figures”.

French Defence Minister Jean-Yves Le Drian said on Monday that there was “every reason to believe” the hostages were still alive.

Read or Listen to this story on the RFI website.

France - Mali -Chad - Article published the Tuesday 05 March 2013 - Latest update : Tuesday 05 March 2013

Enhanced by Zemanta

In Several Joint Clearance Operations, 11 Armed Taliban Killed (Mar.,05.2013.)

Publish Date: Mar 05, 2013
In Several Joint Clearance Operations, 11 Armed Taliban Killed

In past 24 hours, Afghan National Police conducted several joint clearance operations with the cooperation of Afghan National Army, NDS and Coalition Forces to clean some of the areas from terrorists and enemies of peace and stability of Afghanistan.

The operations were conducted in Kandahar, Nangarhar, Laghman, Zabul, Paktiya, Uruzgan, Herat and Helmand provinces, as a result 11 armed Taliban were killed, one wounded and 19 other armed Taliban were arrested by Afghan National Security Forces.

Also, during these operations, Afghan National Police discovered and confiscated some amount of light and heavy round ammunitions and IEDs.

During the same 24 hour period, Afghan National Police discovered and defused six different types of mines placed by enemies of Afghanistan for destructive activities in Nimroz, Kandahar, Faryab, Kunduz and Kunar provinces.
Counter Crimes:
The 101 Kabul Zone National Police detained 10 suspects accused of murder and theft in the Paghman, Qara Bagh, 6th, 7th, 8th, 10th and 17th Districts of Kabul-City.
Enhanced by Zemanta

Mar. 05., 2013. - ISAF Joint Command Operational Update

KABUL, Afghanistan - An Afghan and coalition security force arrested a Taliban facilitator and detained two other insurgents during an operation in Kandahar City, Kandahar province, today.

The insurgent is believed responsible for directing multiple suicide attacks against Afghan and coalition forces throughout Kandahar province. He has also been involved in the death of Afghan civilians.

In other International Security Assistance Force news throughout Afghanistan:


An Afghan and coalition security force arrested a Taliban facilitator and detained four other insurgents during an operation in Panjwa’i district, Kandahar province, Monday. The insurgent is accused of importing and distributing home-made explosive material and narcotics in Panjwa’I, and securing funding for insurgent activity against Afghan and coalition forces.


An Afghan and coalition force killed four insurgents and wounded three others during a security operation in Ghaziabad district, Kunar province, yesterday.

Enhanced by Zemanta

Mar. 05., 2013. - RC-East operational update

BAGRAM, Afghanistan - Afghan and coalition forces located and safely cleared five improvised explosive devices, killed three insurgents, detained three suspected insurgents and discovered a weapons cache during operations in eastern Afghanistan throughout the past 24 hours, March 4.

Logar province
Afghan Uniform Police found and safely cleared two IEDs during operations in the Baraki Barak district.

Afghan Uniform Police detained two suspected insurgents during operations in the Baraki Barak district. The suspected insurgents were transferred to a base for questioning.

Khowst province
Afghan and coalition forces detained a suspected insurgent during operations in the Khowst district. The suspected insurgent was transferred to a base for questioning.

Ghazni province
Afghan and coalition forces found and safely cleared three IEDs during operations in the Qarah Bagh district.

Kunar province
Coalition forces killed three insurgents during operations in the Shigal Wa Sheltan district.

Paktiya province
Afghan and coalition forces discovered a weapons cache during operations in the Dzadran district. The cache consisted of a small-arms rifle with ammunition and three rifle magazines.

Enhanced by Zemanta

Benghazi gunmen attack Coptic church

Libya on Sunday (March 3rd) condemned the recent attack on an Egyptian Coptic church in Benghazi that left two priests injured, Libya Herald reported. The government has "taken the necessary measures to secure the church and its occupants", the foreign ministry said.

The Thursday attack by armed gunmen was "contrary to the teachings of our Islamic faith and customs and as well as international covenants on human rights and fundamental freedoms and respect for the monotheistic religions", the ministry statement added.

In December, an explosion killed two Egyptian nationals and injured two others at the church of Mar Gerguis (Saint Georges) in Dafniya, near Misrata.


Enhanced by Zemanta

Pakistani Taliban execute, behead soldiers in South Waziristan

Warning: the video below contains graphic footage of the aftermath of the Taliban killing several Pakistani soldiers. The Taliban remove the heads of the Pakistani soldiers.

The Movement of the Taliban in Pakistan released a videotape on the fighting in the Mehsud areas of South Waziristan which includes graphic footage of the mutilation of several Pakistani soldiers who appear to have been killed in a firefight last summer. The videotape, which was sent to The Long War Journal by a spokesman from Umar Media, the media arm of the Movement of the Taliban in Pakistan, is titled "Strike of a Believer." It focuses on the Taliban's fight against the Pakistani military in the tribal agency of South Waziristan, and includes a statement from the terror group's emir, Hakeemullah Mehsud.
A three-minute segment shows what appears to be the aftermath of a clash with Pakistani soldiers in a mountainous area of South Waziristan. The Taliban are seen taking the soldiers' weapons. The soldiers are seen with their Pakistani Army-issued weapons, body armor, and helmets.
At least three of what appear to be six soldiers who were killed and beheaded are shown. Their heads are displayed on top of rocks. The body of one Pakistani soldier, who was not beheaded, was thrown down the mountainside.
Although the date of the Taliban attack on the Pakistani soldiers was not provided in the video, a spokesman for Umar Media told The Long War Journal that "this fight was held on 22 June 2012."
The Pakistani media did not report the deaths of Pakistani soldiers in South Waziristan within three days before or after June 22, 2012. The nearest report of Pakistani soldiers killed in South Waziristan was on June 18, 2012, when two soldiers were said to have been killed in an attack on the Ladha area of South Waziristan.
Enhanced by Zemanta

Search this blog