Saturday, March 24, 2012

Teenage bombers among 10 detained

KANDAHAR CITY (PAN): Eight insurgents and two teenage suicide bombers have been detained in Kandahar, Helmand and Uruzgan provinces, officials said on Saturday.

Fifteen-year-old Hanzala, who belongs to Pakistan’s port city of Karachi, confessed to his plans for suicide attacks during preliminary investigations, an intelligence official revealed.

Speaking to Pajhwok Afghan News, the source a rebel -- Bashir Ahmad, a resident of Arghandab district -- wanted to attack government officials in Kandahar. Ahmad said he had been encouraged to wage a jihad by a Taliban commander in the Nalgham area of Kandahar two years ago.

“My name is Hanzala, son of Mir Hatam and resident of Karachi. I was working as vehicle mechanic. While fixing his car, Ghulam Hazrat encouraged me to go with him to Kandahar.

“I received a suicide vest after I accompanied him to Quetta, the capital of Balochistan. After crossing the border into Afghanistan, I was detained in the Spin Boldak border town of Kandahar”, Hanzala said.
He added: “I am an orphan, having a sister and a mother. I hope the government will forgive me.”

Another teenage suicide bomber, Ataullah, was detained in the Mehrabad area of Tirinkot, the capital of Uruzgan, said police spokesman Farid Ayel. He added the 12-year-old visited his office a week ago and sought help in being reunited with his family.

Ataullah said: “I did not want to conduct a suicide attack and surrendered to police.” He wanted to meet his family members as soon as possible.

Another seven militants were detained during separate operations by intelligence operatives in Kajaki, Khanshin and Sangin districts of Helmand province, said the governor’s spokesman, Daud Ahmadi.

from Pajhwok News
Enhanced by Zemanta

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Search this blog