Kandahar province of Afghanistan, at least five US troops were killed on Saturday by a roadside bomb explosion.
Today’s incident was the deadliest attack against the international coalition security forces after Taliban militants announced its summer offensive last week.
Provincial governor spokesman Javid Faisal said the incident took place after a coalition forces patrol hit a roadside improvised explosive device in Maidan district.
Captain Luca Carniel, a public affairs official for the US-led coalition in Kabul, confirmed that all five were Americans. With the deaths, 47 members of the coalition have been killed so far this year including 32 Americans.
NATO-led International Security Assistance Force (ISAF) following a statement also confirmed the incident and said, “Five International Security Assistance Force service members died following an improvised explosive device attack in southern Afghanistan today.”
The statement did not disclose further information regarding the exact location of the incident and nationalities of the deceased soldiers saying, “It is ISAF policy to defer casualty identification procedures to the relevant national authorities.”
By Mirwais Adeel - 04 May 2013, 8:57 pm