Provincial governor spokesman confirming the report said the incident took place after a convoy of the coalition security forces struck a roadside bomb in Zherai district.
The explosion also wounded several others.
A spokesman for the International Security Assistance Force (ISAF) told AFP, “We can confirm that three soldiers were killed in a roadside bomb in southern Afghanistan today (Tuesday).”
Maj. Bryan Purtell, ISAF spokesman said the earlier death toll of four had been revised down and a recovery operation was taking place at the scene.
The coalition and local Afghan officials confirmed that all the victims were Americans.
This comes as three Georgian troops were killed following militants attack on a military base in southern Helmand province of Afghanistan on Monday evening.
No group has so far claimed responsibility behind the incident.
Militants attacks have been rampant since Taliban group announced its summer offensive in April, and vowed to carry out attacks against the Afghan and caolition security forces, government officials and other diplomatic institutions across the country.
By Ghanizada - 14 May 2013, 9:13 pm