Thursday, July 5, 2012

July 04., 2012. - RC-East operational update

BAGRAM, Afghanistan - Afghan and coalition forces killed eight insurgents, detained four and cleared six improvised explosive devices during operations in eastern Afghanistan throughout the past 24 hours, July 4.

Ghazni province
Afghan National Security Forces and coalition forces found and safely cleared two IEDs, one in Ab Band district and one in Qarah Bagh district.

Afghan National Army soldiers and coalition forces killed two insurgents and detained three during a small arms engagement in Dehyak district.

Khowst province
Afghan National Security Forces and coalition forces killed one insurgent during a small arms engagement in Qalandar district.

Afghan National Security Forces and coalition forces found and safely cleared an IED in Khowst district.

Paktika province
Afghan National Army soldiers and coalition forces found and safely cleared two IEDs in Sar Rowzah district.

Afghan Border Police and coalition forces found and safely cleared an IED in Wazah Kwah district.

Paktiya province
Afghan National Security Forces and coalition forces killed five insurgents and detained one during an engagement in Lajah Ahmadkhel district.

Operations in RC-East are still ongoing.

Enhanced by Zemanta

Yemen captures al-Qaida cell near president's house

SANAA, July 4 (Xinhua) -- Yemeni counter-terrorism units captured an al-Qaida cell in a neighbourhood near the residential compound of President Abd-Rabbu Mansour Hadi in the capital Sanaa on Wednesday, a police source said.

"The anti-terror forces raided al-Sunainah neighbourhood, a few meters away from Hadi's house in the west of Sanaa, capturing an al-Qaida cell of four members at dawn on Wednesday," the source told Xinhua anonymously.

"The cell is accused of assassinating a senior intelligence officer two days ago in the same neighbourhood by setting a bomb under the driver seat," he said.

The Yemeni government launched a months-long military offensive against al-Qaida fighters, known locally as Ansar al-Sharia ( Partisans of Islamic Law). Last week, the army completely drove the militants out of their strongholds in several southern cities which they had controlled for nearly one year.

Combating al-Qaida militants in the south is one of the challenges confronting President Hadi, who has promised to launch a national dialogue to settle disputes among all political factions and uproot the Yemeni branch of al-Qaida.

from XINHUA
2012-07-04 18:17:30
Enhanced by Zemanta

61 armed insurgents killed and 1 was arrested by ANP



Publish Date: Jul 04, 2012
61 armed insurgents killed and one was arrested by Afghan National Police

Counterterrorism:
During the past 24 hours, Afghan National Police, Afghan National Army, NDS and Coalition Forces launched five joint clearance operations in Baghlan, Jowzjan, Paktika, Kandahar and Farah provinces.

As a result of these operations, 61 armed insurgents were killed and one was arrested by Afghan National Police.

Also, during these operations, Afghan National Police discovered and confiscated 115 kilograms of opium, 11 different types of weapons with 28 magazines, three radio handsets, two suicide vests, 376 light rounds and 27 hand grenades.
 
Crimes:
The 101 Kabul Zone National Police detained nine individuals accused of trafficking, theft and assault in the 2nd, 3rd, 6th, 7th and 15th Districts of Kabul-City.

We encourage anyone who has information about suspicious activities to contact and protect the people.
Enhanced by Zemanta

Man in Afghan army uniform wounds five Nato soldiers

Districts of Wardak.
Districts of Wardak. (Photo credit: Wikipedia)
7/4/12 10:18 AM - Angola Press
Afhganistan - An individual wearing Afghan army uniform shot and wounded five Nato soldiers in eastern Afghanistan on Tuesday, the alliance says.

The five, believed to be American, are receiving medical treatment. The extent of their injuries is not known.

   The attack took place at a Nato base in Wardak province, east of Kabul.

   It is the latest in a series of so-called "green-on-blue" attacks, where Afghans in the police or army attack international forces.

  More than 20 foreign personnel have been killed in rogue shootings in Afghanistan this year.

  On Sunday, three British soldiers were shot and killed by an Afghan policeman as they left a checkpoint in Helmand province, in the south.

  International forces are gradually handing over responsibility for security to their Afghan counterparts ahead of the planned withdrawal of Nato-led troops at the end of 2014.

  On Tuesday, the US and Pakistan announced that Nato supply routes into Afghanistan would re-open after Washington apologised for killing 24 Pakistani soldiers last November.

from angolapress 
7/4/12 10:18 AM 

---
from heraldscotland:
Thursday 5 July 2012

Troops hit by insider Afghan attack
A man in an Afghan army uniform has shot and wounded coalition troops in eastern Afghanistan in the latest incident of an insider attack.

Nato said wounded were being treated but did not say how many were hurt or provide any other details about the attack in eastern Wardak province's Sayed Abad district. The coalition maintains a large base there, but Nato did not say where in the district the attack took place or what happened to the gunman.

Three British soldiers were killed on Sunday by an Afghan policeman in southern Afghanistan's Helmand district.

That attack brought the total number of "Green-on-Blue" killings, involving Afghan security officials attacking Nato allies, to 26 in 18 incidents this year. That compares with 11 fatal attacks and 20 deaths the previous year. In 2007 and 2008 there were four attacks and four deaths.

Officials do not routinely report such attacks where troops are wounded.

Efforts to draw down the number of foreign troops in Afghanistan rely on them working closely with their Afghan partners to train and mentor them so that they can take over the security of their country by the end of 2014. But such insider attacks fuel distrust and have triggered increased security protections for foreign troops serving in Afghanistan.

A total of 220 foreign troops have been killed this year, including five in July.
---

from KHAAMA:
By Sajad - Wed Jul 04, 3:07 pm

Afghan defense officials on Wednesday announced at least 5 NATO troops were injured after an individual in Afghan national army uniform opened fire on coalition forces.

The officials further added the incident took place in Maidan Wardak province of Afghanistan.

Deputy Afghan defense ministry spokesman Dawlat Waziri said the incident took place late Tuesday evening inside a military base in Syedabad district in this province.

Mr. Waziri further added the assailant individual managed to flee the area and investigations have been launched in this regard.

This comes as Three British soldiers were killed on Sunday by an Afghan policeman in southern Afghanistan’s Helmand district.

That attack brought the total number of so called “Green-on-Blue” killings involving Afghan security officials attacking NATO allies to 26 in 18 incidents so far this year. That compares with 11 fatal attacks and 20 deaths the previous year. In 2007 and 2008 there were a combined total of four attacks and four deaths.
 

Enhanced by Zemanta

July 03., 2012. - RC-East operational update

BAGRAM, Afghanistan – Afghan and coalition forces detained three insurgents, located two weapons caches and cleared six improvised explosive devices during operations in eastern Afghanistan throughout the past 24 hours, July 3, 2012.

Ghazni province
Afghan Uniformed police and coalition forces found and safely cleared two IEDs in Ghazni district.

Khowst province
Afghan Border Police and coalition forces detained two insurgents during an engagement in Terezayi district. The detained suspects were transferred to a base for questioning.

Afghan Uniformed police and coalition forces found and safely cleared two IEDs, one in Sabari District and one in Terezayi district.

Afghan National Army soldiers and coalition forces discovered two weapons cache in Qalandar district. The caches contained grenades and military personnel gear.

Kunar province
Afghan National Army soldiers and coalition forces detained one insurgent during an engagement in Sar Kani district. The detained suspect was transferred to a base for questioning.

Ghazni province
Afghan Uniformed police and coalition forces found and safely cleared an IED in Shinwar district.

Paktiya Province
Afghan National Security Forces and coalition forces found and safely cleared an IED in Zurmat district.

Operations in RC-East are still ongoing.

Enhanced by Zemanta

R.I.P. - Pfc. Cody O. Moosman

DOD Identifies Army Casualty

            The Department of Defense announced today the death of a soldier who was supporting Operation Enduring Freedom.

            Pfc. Cody O. Moosman, 24, of Preston, Idaho, died July 3, in Gayan Alwara Mandi, Afghanistan, when enemy forces attacked his unit with small arms fire.  He was assigned to the 1st Battalion, 28th Infantry Regiment, 4th Infantry Brigade Combat Team, 1st Infantry Division, Fort Riley, Kan.

            For more information the media may contact 1st Infantry Division Public Affairs Office at 785-240-1796.

---


Fallen soldier wanted to serve: Moosman loved hunting, fishing
Posted: Wednesday, July 4, 2012 12:36 pm | Updated: 12:02 am, Thu Jul 5, 2012.
By Devin Bodkin


    “Cody told us when he was in third grade that he wanted to be in the Army when he grew up. He loved the idea of protecting his fellow citizens,” said family members of Army Pvt. Cody Moosman, 24, of Preston, who died in Afghanistan this week after enemy forces attacked his unit with small arms fire.

    “Our family enjoyed watching (Cody) stand up for America,” the family members said in a news release issued on Tuesday. “(He) loved the outdoors, and hunting and fishing were his passion.”

    Moosman family friend, Tom Madsen, of Preston, said the soldier’s family had already left the area to meet their son’s casket, which was expected to arrive at Dover Air Force Base in Delaware sometime yesterday.

    The soldier leaves behind his mother and father, two brothers and two sisters, his grandparents and his nieces and nephews, the news release said.

    Moosman was an Eagle Scout — something his family said helped prepare him for his role as a soldier.

    “We loved him and we will miss him very much,” the family said.

    The Moosmans are requesting no contact from members of the media at this time.

    Cody Moosman’s death comes weeks after former Pocatello resident, Army Spc. Matthew Krumwiede, 20, stepped on the pressure plate of an improvised explosive device while serving in Afghanistan. The injury caused Krumwiede to lose both legs from midknee.

    Last week Krumwiede’s father, Dennis Krumwiede, told the Journal his son was in critical but stable condition at a Texas hospital.

Read more: http://www.idahostatejournal.com/news/local/article_0195f126-c607-11e1-a2c2-0019bb2963f4.html#ixzz1zk7BwNGL
Enhanced by Zemanta

Saudi al Qaeda commander confirmed killed in Kunar airstrike

Districts of Kunar.
Districts of Kunar. (Photo credit: Wikipedia)

The Coalition confirmed that an al Qaeda military commander from Saudi Arabia was killed in Sunday's airstrike in Kunar province that killed "several" al Qaeda operatives.

The International Security Assistance Force said that a Saudi known as Hanzallah was killed in the July 1 airstrike in the Watahpur district in the remote northeastern province of Kunar.

"Hanzallah was a Saudi national and al Qaeda leader who acted as a military advisor to insurgents in Kunar, Nuristan and Laghman provinces and provided them with improvised explosive device training," ISAF stated in a press release. "Hanzallah was one of several al-Qaida terrorists killed during the security operation."

ISAF announced the raid that targeted Hanzallah yesterday in a press release, and stated that "numerous" insurgents were killed in the operation [see LWJ report, ISAF targets al Qaeda leader in Kunar]. ISAF did not provide the identities of the other al Qaeda operatives who were killed in the strike.

Hanzallah is not listed on any of Saudi Arabia's four lists of most-wanted terrorists.

Al Qaeda operatives and leaders often serve as embedded military trainers for Taliban field units and impart tactics and bombmaking skills to these forces. In addition, al Qaeda frequently supports the Taliban by funding operations and providing weapons and other aid. [See LWJ report, Al Qaeda's paramilitary 'Shadow Army' for more information on al Qaeda's role in Afghanistan.]

Saudis are known to have held senior al Qaeda leadership positions in Kunar province. ISAF has killed four other Saudi leaders in Kunar since the summer of 2010.

On May 28, an ISAF airstrike killed Sakhr al Taifi, a Saudi al Qaeda leader who was also known as Musthaq and Nasim, and another unnamed al Qaeda fighter. Al Taifi, who was wanted by the Saudi government, served as al Qaeda's second in command in Afghanistan, according to ISAF.

In April 2011, ISAF killed Abu Hafs al Najdi, al Qaeda's operations chief for Kunar who was wanted by the Saudi government.

And in September 2010, ISAF killed Abdallah Umar al Qurayshi and Sa'ad Mohammad al Shahri. Al Qurayshi was a senior al Qaeda commander who coordinated the attacks of a group of Arab fighters in Kunar and Nuristan provinces and also maintained extensive contacts with al Qaeda facilitators throughout the Middle East. Al Shahri was a longtime jihadist and the son of a retired Saudi colonel.

Read more: http://www.longwarjournal.org/archives/2012/07/saudi_al_qaeda_comma_1.php#ixzz1zjSHlybT
Enhanced by Zemanta

4 AQAP fighters killed in drone strike in southern Yemen


The US killed four people, including two al Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula fighters, in a drone airstrike in southern Yemen.

The unmanned Predators or Reapers fired missiles at a vehicle in Shabwa province earlier today, The Associated Press. Two of the men were identified as Hussein Rubai and Fahad al Harithi, and "were known for ties to al Qaeda and provided shelter for militants."

No senior AQAP leaders or operatives are reported to have been killed in the strike.

Today's drone strike took place after the Yemeni military claimed it broke up three AQAP cells planning to conduct attacks against foreign embassies and government personnel. The military said that "four Egyptians, two Jordanians, a Somali, a Tunisian, and a man from Dagestan in Russia's North Caucasus" were among those arrested, according to Reuters.

Foreign fighters have been killed in Yemen in the past, This year, two Jordanians, including Abu Hammam, the nephew of slain al Qaeda in Iraq leader Abu Musab al Zarqawi, were killed in drone strikes.

Read more: http://www.longwarjournal.org/archives/2012/07/4_aqap_fighters_kill.php#ixzz1zjRKf83i
Enhanced by Zemanta

Happy 4th of July

Happy 4th of July...to all my friends, followers, familiars...

whos got "Stars and Stripes" Heart and Soul

I am the Nation 
Written by Otto Whittaker and narrated by Johnny Cash



I was born on July 4, 1776, and the Declaration of Independence is my birth certificate.
The bloodlines of the world run in my veins, because I offered freedom to the oppressed.
I am many things and many people.
I am the nation. I am 250 million living souls -- and the ghost of millions who have lived and died for me.
I am Nathan Hale and Paul Revere. I stood at Lexington and fired the shot heard around the world.
I am Washington, Jefferson and Patrick Henry. I am John Paul Jones, the Green Mountain Boys and Davy Crockett.
I am Lee and Grant and Abe Lincoln.
I remember the Alamo, the Maine and Pearl Harbor. When freedom called, I answered and stayed until it was over, over there.
I left my heroic dead in Flanders Field, on the rock of Corregidor, on the bleak slopes of Korea and in the steaming jungle of Vietnam.
I am the Brooklyn Bridge, the wheat lands of Kansas and the granite hills of Vermont.
I am the coal fields of the Virginias and Pennsylvania, the fertile lands of the West, the Golden Gate and the Grand Canyon.
I am Independence Hall, the Monitor and the Merrimac.
I am big. I sprawl from the Atlantic to the Pacific -- my arms reach out to embrace Alaska and Hawaii.
I am more than five million farms. I am forest, field, mountain and desert. I am quiet villages -- and cities that never sleep.
You can look at me and see Ben Franklin walking down the streets of Philadelphia with his bread loaf under his arm.
You can see Betsy Ross with her needle. You can see the lights of Christmas and hear the strains of "Auld Lang Syne" as the calendar turns.
I am Babe Ruth and the World Series. I am 110,000 schools and colleges and 330,000 churches where my people worship God as they think best.
I am a ballot dropped into a box, the roar of a crowd in a stadium and the voice of a choir in a cathedral.
I am an editorial in a newspaper and a letter to a congressman.
I am Eli Whitney and Stephen Foster. I am Tom Edison, Albert Einstein and Billy Graham. I am Horace Greeley, Will Rogers and the Wright Brothers.
I am George Washington Carver, Jonas Salk and Martin Luther King Jr.
I am Longfellow, Harriet Beecher Stowe, Walt Whitman and Thomas Paine.
Yes, I am the nation, and these are the things that I am.
I was conceived in freedom and, God willing, in freedom I will spend the rest of my days.
May I possess always the integrity, the courage and the strength to keep myself unshackled,
to remain a citadel of freedom and a beacon of hope to the entire world.
I am the Nation.



---
the clip is created by "swaywithme1" from utube 

---

updates coming up later....

some technical problems here

sorry for inconvenience

updates coming up later, stay tuned!

Search this blog